Here is what we are doing…
- Adding a New Master Bedroom off the back left corner of the house
- Reconfiguring the Master Bedroom into the Master On-suite
- Removing the walls between the living room and kitchen to create an open floorplan
- Adding 6′ out the back to increase the size of both the living room and kitchen and create an entrance for the new Master Suite
- Brand New Kitchen layout, including a raised island and new pantry
- Enclosing the back of the garage to create a laundry room
- Adding 8′ to the front of the garage to compensate for the new laundry room
- Adding 8′ out front to Bedroom #3
- Removing the coat closet and bedroom closet from the Livingroom wall and adding them to the back of bedroom #3
- Moving the half bath door from the left wall to the back wall to be accessed from the new Master entry”
- Add a closet door onto closet in bedroom #2
- Removing the window from the left wall of the garage to create a load support for the new porch roof
- Adding an overhead Garage Door
- Replacing/Adding a new roof
- Adding a new deck to the back of the house (the screened porch will be left as is)
Things to Note:
- The two new windows in the kitchen will be gas strut Awning windows, like this example
- The island in the kitchen will use standard cabinets, but I would like it raised on a 4″ platform (3 1/2″ platform really using 2x4 wood), just to raise the dishwasher and sink a few inches for ergonomics and to ease the stress on my back when doing dishes.
- The laundry room floor will need to be raised to matched the floor in the dining room, which is lower than the rest of the house
Drag to see the difference between and existing plan and addition plan.
Calacatta Vicenza Quartz or something similar, we will need to pick out the exact stone based on the slabs available.
White Shaker style cabinets with solid wood based, dovetail joints and soft close slides and hinges. Brand is not important.
White Subway tiles in a herringbone pattern covering the entire back wall.
Brushed/Satin Nickle hardware on all cabinets. Cup Pulls on all drawers and Bar Pulls on the cabinet doors.
Dark wood Accents in the shelf above the cooktop and the cookbook shelves in the island.
Mock-up Views of the Kitchen
Café™ Stainless Steel Appliances
The kitchen has been designed with a few special things to make it easier for me to cook since I have back issues:
- The island will be raised on a 3.5″ platform of 2x4s in order to raise the height slightly while using traditional cabinets. This raises the kitchen sink and dishwasher of the ground a bit.
- The Oven will a French door top oven so I don’t have to reach over an open door.
- The windows on the back wall will be Gas Strut Windows that open all the way up (Here is an example).
- We already own the light fixture for over the bar and will be buying new LED can lights.
The Living Room will be opening up to the Kitchen and we want to widen the Living by moving the closets on the Left wall and to the back of the 3rd Bedroom.
- We are adding base cabinet and built shelves to the new left wall for storage.
- Adding the half wall between the Living Room and the sunken Dining Room. The opening into the Dining Room will be 42″.
- We will be adding a new electrical outlet to the half wall and a new recessed outlet on the left wall for the television.
We are enclosing the back of the Garage to create the Laundry Room, few things to note:
- The floor will be raised to match the existing dining room floor.
- The Washer/Dryer will be on a raised 1.5′ platform and the hookups will be moving from the back wall to the left wall.
- Plumbing will need to be added from the laundry sink.
- Right now the water heater is in the way of the new laundry room, we would like to removed the gas tanked water heater and add a tankless gas water heater that will be mount in the cabinet above the washer/dryer.
- The side exterior door will need to be raised to match the new floor height.